Janome 2212 Review - Quick Intro
With all of the high-tech, computerized sewing machines out there, many people forget that the most reliable, easy-to-operate sewing machines are actually mechanical. The Janome 2212 sewing machine is both durable and simple to operate, making it an ideal choice for beginners or anyone searching for a straightforward, practical machine.
Don't want to read the whole review? Here's the quick summary.
On top of its excellent functionality, the Janome 2212 comes at an affordable price, making it a fitting choice for budget-conscious sewers. Check out our full review below.
Stitch Selection and Specifications
The Janome 2212 sewing machine comes with 12 built-in stitches. This selection of stitches includes all of the functional stitches you’ll need for everyday projects like clothing repair, quilting, crafting, and more.
In addition to the 12 main stitches, the 2212 includes a four-step buttonhole. This is an excellent feature for garment construction and home decor projects.
With this machine, selecting your stitch is done in a single step; all you have to do is turn the stitch selector dial to your desired stitch. The dial is labeled with letters that correspond to stitch options--just refer to the clearly marked stitch chart printed on the machine before making your choice.
The 2212 has a maximum stitch width of 5mm and a maximum stitch length of 4mm. To adjust the width and length of your stitches, simply turn the designated dials to your chosen measurement.
Features and Accessories
The Janome 2212 sewing machine comes with an assortment of features and accessories that will allow you to complete a broader range of projects with efficiency. While these features may seem modest compared to more advanced, cutting-edge machines, at-home sewers will have everything they need to complete many different projects.
- Free arm: Sleeves, collars, and cuffs are totally manageable with the built-in free arm, which helps you maneuver sections of fabric in a cylindrical shape.
- Reverse lever: Tying off that last stitch in a row can often be tricky and time-consuming. The reverse lever on the 2212 eliminates this issue by allowing you to lock stitches in seconds.
- Extra high presser foot lift: This feature allows you to easily sew through thick fabrics or several layers of material by giving the presser foot some extra height.
- Push-pull bobbin winder: With the 2212, simply push to lock the bobbin in place for winding and pull to release it once you’re done. Use the foot control to wind the bobbin quickly and safely.
- Vertical oscillating hook bobbin: The mechanics of this machine include a vertical oscillating hook bobbin, meaning that a hook oscillates to carry the thread from the needle to the bobbin cage and back. This system provides great ease of use and makes the setup of the machine simple.
- Snap-on presser feet: The presser feet included with the 2212 snap on and off so you can switch between them as efficiently as possible.
The accessories included with the Janome 2212 provide a great level of convenience and value.
- Blind foot
- Buttonhole foot
- Zipper foot
- Foot control pedal
- Needle set
- Seam ripper
- Vinyl dust cover
The Durability of a Mechanical Machine
What a mechanical machine like the Janome 2212 lacks in high-tech features, it makes up for in pure, basic functionality. Many sewers don’t require the bells and whistles that expensive machines offer, like digital screens and hundreds of decorative stitches. For those who value durability and ease of use above those extra features, a mechanical machine is likely the best way to go.
The Janome 2212 is built to last and easy to operate. It’s perfect for basic projects and tasks, making it a celebrated machine among at-home sewers. The 2212 also provides consistent results that you can count on, which is a quality that many people prioritize over countless accessories and intricate stitches.
By creating a design that’s simple and effective, Janome can keep the price of this machine quite low. It’s a sturdy machine that can last for years, which makes the 2212 an even greater value. Janome also provides a 25-year limited warranty, protecting your purchase in case of damage and defects.
- The Janome 2212 has earned high ratings from customers, which is a testament to its exceptional reliability and ease of use.
- The features of the 2212 machine are basic, so it’s offered at a highly affordable price. It’s sturdy and well-made, making it a smarter choice than other low-cost machines.
- This Janome machine can handle thick layers of fabric with ease, so it can be used for sewing denim, quilting, and more.
- The Janome 2212 machine doesn’t include decorative stitches, which may limit your creativity and the complexity of your projects.
- The 2212 has fewer adjustable features than many other machines in the field. The thread tension is manual and the pressure foot isn’t adjustable, which may make the setup of the machine for various projects more difficult.
- The bobbin setup is more involved than a top drop-in bobbin system and may take some time to understand. As with any machine, it’s incredibly important to read the included manual in its entirety before use.
Janome 2212 Review Summary
The Janome 2212 sewing machine proves that pure functionality is often just as good, if not better, than high-tech features. The 2212 is a basic, affordable machine that can be counted on to provide a high standard of work with every use.