Brother JX2517 Review – The Full Run Down
When it comes to convenience, ease of use, and value for money, the Brother JX2517 sewing machine seriously delivers. Ideal for home projects and simple repairs, this machine has a great number of features while still being simple to operate. The JX2517 is unusually lightweight for a machine of its caliber, making it both portable and great for kids.
Brother JX2517 Stitching Patterns
The Brother JX2517 machine has a selection of 17 built-in stitches. With both utility and decorative options, this assortment of stitches can help you complete a wide variety of sewing tasks and projects.
The selection of 17 stitches includes multiple settings for individual stitches, adding up to 38 stitch functions in total. With this number of functions to choose from, you’ll have the perfect stitch for all types of projects, from straightforward repairs to decorative patterns.
Included in the 17 built-in stitches is a 4-step automatic buttonholer. This convenient buttonhole stitch will come of use for garment construction; buttons are also a great addition to homemade pillow and cushion covers.
The JX2517 has a built-in blind hem stitch. This stitch allows you to create a blind hem on any garment with ease. The blind hem technique conceals the stitches creating a hem, giving your projects a professional look.
Selecting your stitch for any given project is simple with the JX2517. Just refer to the diagram printed on the front of the machine to see which number corresponds to your stitch of choice. Then, turn the large pattern dial to the correct number.
Size and Weight
What makes the Brother JX2517 sewing machine stand apart from similar models is its impressively lightweight design. Weighing just 12 pounds, the JX2517 is quite portable. This allows you to easily store it after each use or bring it along to sewing classes, clubs, etc.
The lightweight quality of this Brother machine also makes it an awesome choice for kids who are learning to sew. Young, beginner sewers will be able to manage the compact frame, and they’ll love its whimsical floral design.
The Brother JX2517 machine may be lightweight, but it still includes a solid collection of features. These convenient capabilities will enable you to use your creativity and take your sewing projects above and beyond.
- Easy bobbin winding system: Owners of the JX2517 machine rave that the bobbin winding system is incredibly easy to use. The bobbin is basically self-winding, requiring little to no effort from you.
- Drop-in top bobbin: Setting the bobbin up for use after it’s been wound is also quite simple. To load the bobbin, just drop it into the bobbin case and you’re set to sew. This confusion-free bobbin setup is ideal for adults and children who are learning to sew.
- Free arm: Sewing small clothing pieces like cuffs and collars can be difficult. This machine has a built-in free arm so that you can maneuver cylindrical pieces with ease.
- LED-lit work area: A bright LED bulb is included in the JX2517 machine so that you can clearly see every detail of your projects, ensuring precision and accuracy.
- High maximum sewing speed: The JX2517 machine has a maximum sewing speed of 900 stitches per minute. This speed will quicken the sewing process and help you work through projects more efficiently.
- Reverse stitch button: Reinforce your stitches for added strength and easily tie off the last stitch in a row with the reverse stitch button, conveniently located on the front of the machine.
Several useful accessories are included with the Brother JX2517. These extras make the machine an even greater value and allow you to start sewing right after you open the box.
The JX2517 comes with 4 basic accessory feet:
- Buttonhole foot
- Button sewing foot
- Zipper foot
- Zigzag foot
These additional accessories will come in handy during the sewing process:
- Needle set
- Darning plate
- Oval screwdriver
- Foot controller
- Power cord
- Operation manual
The JX2517 includes built-in accessory storage. So, everything you need is within reach and safe from getting lost.
In addition to these helpful extras, the JX2517 machine comes with a 25-year limited warranty. Brother is an established name in the sewing machine industry with a reputation for quality; but, if anything goes wrong with your machine, this warranty protects your purchase.
Pros and Cons
Is the Brother JX2517 the right sewing machine for you? Consider the main pros and cons of this machine to decide if it’s the perfect choice.
- The JX2517 weighs far less than other machines with similar features and capabilities. It’s more manageable and convenient to store than a standard machine, without sacrificing any functionality.
- Sewers who own this machine love that the bobbin winding system and drop-in bobbin are exceptionally user-friendly. With these features, you’ll be ready to sew faster, without frustration or confusion.
- This Brother machine is highly affordable. It offers a balance of value for money and desirable features, making it an accessible machine for all types of sewers.
- Since this machine is so light, it’s not the best option for sewing through difficult materials like elastic. If that’s a capability that you’re after, go for a more heavy-duty machine.
- Some parts of the JX2517, such as the presser foot lever and the spool holder, are made of plastic. Plastic isn’t the most durable material for sewing machines and won’t last as long as metal.
- The bobbin case on this machine needs frequent cleaning in order for it to run well.
The Brother JX2517 sewing machine is a popular product because of its lightweight frame and user-friendly design. Whether you’re a beginner looking for a machine to learn on or a seasoned sewer who values ease of use, the JX2517 is an option to consider.
Frequently Asked Questions about Brother JX2517 Sewing Machine
Is it automatic and does it include self-threading?
The Brother JX2517 Sewing Machine is a popular sewing machine, which provides very basic sewing options, but at the price it comes, it is definitely worth the buy. But is it automatic? The answer is a no. Since it is designed for a basic and home use, it does not feature an automatic system.
But it has an automatic four-step buttonhole maker and also has like 17 presets which help in creating decorative stitches. Overall, this is the best buy for those are looking for a compact machine which will get the job done.
Does it have a self-threading system?
Since this machine is not fully automatic, it does not have a self-threading system. But it is very easy to thread. There is a thread guide which has all the diagrams and instructions. This makes threading a very simple process.
Or else, you can simply turn on the power, and this will switch on the lights. It becomes easier to thread when there is sufficient light. Overall, with instructions for everything, this machine won’t let you down in any way.
Does the product come with different needles which are needed for different kind of fabrics?
The needle which comes with the sewing machine can be used on denim. If you are looking for different needles for fabrics, then you can get a pack of these. These packs have a variety of needles which are suitable for different kind of fabrics.
Does it also sew reverse?
Yes, this machine is equipped with a reverse button, and it can help you to do a reverse stitch
Can this machine sew heavyweight fabric like a canvas?
This machine is designed for basic and home use. It’s best for home sewing and mending. The machine can easily sew on denim fabric. So keeping that in mind, I guess this machine can handle light canvas fabric.
Is the machine operated by electricity or manually?
This machine is completely operated by electricity. Manual efforts are not needed to run this machine.
How many years warranty does this product come with?
Brother is a very well reputed brand. This product is made from the premium materials and is designed in operate in tough conditions. This product comes with a 1-year standard warranty.
Is the machine capable of doing Embroidery?
This machine was designed for basic usage and home sewing purpose. It has 17 built-in presets for decorative sewings, but it is limited to that only. Other than these 17 presets this machine cannot perform any other embroidery.